Royal ambience in Pillnitz

Pillnitz is a city quarter in the east of Dresden. The best known sight of this quarter is the Japanese-styled chateau. The quarter is situated in the east of Dresden, a rather long way from the inner city. It can be reached by bus, ship, walking along the river or by bicycle.

The park around the castle was founded in 1539 by building the castle church. Later the buildings were changed in Baroque and Japanese style and the first church was broken down. Once the facilities were a gift to Gräfin Cosel, one of the many women of August the strong. Around 1724 the facilities received some French style.

In 1791 Pillnitz made European history with the Declaration of Pillnitz. The European rulers declared that the French King Louis XVI was not to be harmed or deprived of power as a way to attack the progress of the French revolution. In France this was seen as a declaration of war.

Pillnitz is a site of wine production. During the millennium flood of 2002 in Dresden, it was one of the most affected areas.

In the castle park there are, for example, an orange tree house, and a camelia tree that is centuries old and sometimes shows hundreds of wonderful blooms.

There are also a lot of other unusual plants, but don't confuse it with the Dresden Botanic Garden. It is mainly just a park, the castle, and smaller museums about royality and industrial life in some Dresden districts.